Update June 22, 2020:
Guidelines around worship services and funerals have eased to allow for groups of 100 people maximum with 2 metres of physical distancing maintained between members of different households. Congregational singing is discouraged but soloists and performances of small groups are allowed with some precautions taken. We are happy to offer limousine service once again, provided that masks are worn. Receptions are allowed but limited to a maximum of 50 people, food service will not be allowed at this time. Additionally, before arriving, everyone is encouraged to complete the province’s online self-assessment tool and stay home if they are feeling unwell. For more information specific to the Catholic Diocese of Calgary please see links at the bottom of this page
At Evan J Strong Funeral Services, the health and protection of the families we serve, those who attend services to support them, and our staff and their families is of the utmost importance.
Accordingly we have put in place additional safeguards at our facility, these include;
- All public festivals and city events have been canceled until August 31, 2020.
- Frequent cleaning and disinfecting of all surfaces within our facility
- Arrangements that can be made online or by telephone with one of our funeral professionals. This is available to everyone, but if you are ill, living with somone who is ill, have recently travelled internationally or are part of a high-risk group, please let us know and take advantage of these alternative methods for arrangements.
- “Social distancing” by our professional staff at services and visitations [Social Distancing Practices: Link 1, Link 2, Link 3, Link 4]
- In accordance with "social distancing" practices we ask that you limit the number of people coming in for appointments to a maximum of 4 people.
- At services, pens used for signing the memorial book will be changed out and sanitized frequently
- For those unable to attend a service, please contact our office for a memorial card and passing on any condolences to the family. Condolences may also be offered to the family through our website by visiting your loved ones' memorial page and clicking on the Tribute Wall. We are also able to post video condolences to the family, please contact us for details.
- All services will be recorded and posted to your loved one's memorial page for those unable to attend.
We understand that the memorialization of our loved ones is important even during these unique times, and we will work with families to provide the best support, guidance, and service to allow this.
Alberta’s Chief Medical Officer of Health has directed that gatherings be no more than 100 people. Places of worship are not exempt from this recommended restriction. Events are limited to 100 attendees or less as long as recommended physical distancing can be maintained. Interment Services at City of Calgary Cemeteries are subject to the same restrictions and will not available on weekends until further notice . This includes churches of all denominations (for more information specific to the Catholic Diocese of Calgary please see below).
Funerals/memorials/celebrations of life may continue be celebrated in places of worship but attendance is restricted to the immediate family. We will continue to work with our families to provide for memorialization of their loved ones, while adhering to recommended protocols.
There are no known cases where the virus has been transmitted from one person to another at a funeral home or from a deceased body.
Plan for a private family service now, and a public memorial at a later date.
Receptions after funeral services are limited to a maximum of 50 people, food service is prohibited.
Make arrangements for elderly friends, relatives, or those feeling unwell to see the memorialization via a recorded method. We would be pleased to assist with this.
Please be assured that we will continue to monitor all relevant information regarding COVID -19, and update this information as needed. In consideration for our families and our community, we will be making every effort to provide up to date resources on our website to help families through this difficult time. Please visit our Helpful Resources.
AHS [Alberta Health Services]
CDC [Center for Disease Control]
NFDA [National Funeral Directors Association]
GOVERNMENT OF CANADA
WHO [World Health Organization]
GOVERNMENT OF ALBERTA
If you have any questions, please call us at 403-265-1199, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org